🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Red Velvet Icebox Cake

1c83550f f233 45c7 979c 2dd59c08b51f  icebox2

I have a question about the recipe "Red Velvet Icebox Cake" from Anna Hezel. I'm surprised that there's no leavening included in this recipe. Is this an error?

asked by laura williard about 3 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I don't believe it is -- the recipe was based off this Martha Stewart ice cream sandwich cookie, which also has no leavener: http://www.marthastewart...

334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

An icebox cake is traditionally made with wafer cookies and whipped cream. The cookies absorb moisture from the whipped cream and soften during refrigeration. I assume the "cake" layers in this recipe are meant to come out thin and flat like wafers rather than light like a cake.