I have 2 tubs of mascarpone cheese ( unopened ) which had a use by date of June 27 , 2014 . Would it still be safe to use them for baking ? S

Mascarpone cheesecake ?

asked by Cherry about 4 years ago

ZombieCupcake

I would say yes, if you were to them soon. But for health reasons with food "when in doubt throw it out". A day with food poisoning isn't worth saving a few bucks.

CHeeb

I agree with ZombbieCupcake. You also will know if it needs to go when you open it. Mascarpone has a sweet smell and milky liquid surrounding it in the tub.If it has broken and is not smooth in texture,it probably is too old.

Mascarpone is actually very low in moisture compared to ricotta which contains a lovely whey. Because mascarpone is low in moisture, it is slower to spoil. If it hasn't taken on a bitter flavor or off color, it is fine to use.