🔕 🔔

2-part tube pan always, always leaks. Is there any other solution besides A) putting a cooking sheet underneath it in the oven, or B) buying a new one? Do they all leak?

asked by mtrelaun almost 7 years ago

Most manufacturers advise to wrap the bottom of the pan tightly with foil when using with a thin cake batter. .

I use tin foil always.

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

I have had the same problem. Besides wrapping with foil and putting a cookie sheet underneath I've tried another pre-emptive maneuver. I've smeared a thin layer of batter between the insert and pan, then put the pan together and wrapped the bottom in foil. I put the thing in the oven for a couple of minutes, hoping it will seal. Then I take it out and pour the rest of the batter in.

Sometimes a Bundt pan doesn't really work for the application though, like a cheesecake. I don't see how you'd unmold it.

Springform pans leak most of the time, it's just how they are, unless they're lined with a crust (as in a quiche or a cheesecake). Foil and a cookie sheet is the only sure way I know of to avoid the mess, but I like Monkeymom's suggestion. I'll have to give that a try.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

You could use a cheesecake pan, which is one piece.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Sorry that I didn't fully develop the point I was making. The pickle was about a two-piece tube pan, which was specifically designed for angel food cakes so that they can be easily removed from the ungreased pans. But even when the pans are used for what they were designed for, a little angel food batter would sometimes ooze between the two pieces, separating them during baking so that even more batter would ooze out, usually just enough to set off the smoke detector when the goo hit the oven floor. The problem becomes worse with batters that don't hold their own shape, making a cookie sheet and/or foil a necessity. The only way around this is to purchase a Bundt or similar pan, which can also be used to mold gelatin salads, rice rings to be filled with curry or ice rings to float in a punch bowl.

Springform pans usually suffer from the opposite problem: instead of leakage coming out of the pan, there's seepage from water in the bain marie getting in and sogging things up.

We've sent people to the moon and invented the Internet, but we haven't solved the leakage problem of two-piece tube pans or the seepage problem of springform pans. Where's an engineer when you need one?

9ae16185 c926 440b aee2 e06da25bf123  mlt yogateau 1

Thanks so much for all of your answers! I think I will start wrapping the bottom with foil and see how that goes.

I totally agree with betteirine that if we can put a man on the moon, surely we can invent a leak-proof two-part pan.

do you wrap the outside of the pan with foil, or the inside?

25a1be9a bd8e 488c 9793 df7936be2754  stringio

NO. Here's how to use a 2 piece pan. Cut a clean paper grocery bag big enough for pan to sit on. Press down on pan and trace outside edge of pan with a pencil. Cut out circle less than 1/4 inch outside the line. Center paper circle lead side down in pan. Sit tube section on top of paper making sure the paper edge is just visible all the way around. Press down to secure. Lightly spray pan and tube with baking spray (with flour). Pan will never leak again.

39c656b8 235a 4014 b959 fc6d844bffd2  open uri20141230 2359 y241e3

Genius answer... this is perfect. I might add that dampening the paper gasket, prior to assembly, will also allow it to form to the grove tighter. Again, this is genius!

D4e64361 520b 4d07 9c82 fdd7de9c055b  fb avatar

My mom use to do this all the time when baking with her tube pan. She never had a leaky cake. I just wonder if you could do the same with parchment paper?

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

This silicone-gasketed pan would be a substitute for a springform rather than an angel food tube pan, but I've wondered how they work. Anyone tried one? http://www.kingarthurflour...

I just bought one of these at an estate sale and now I'm going to clean my oven tomorrow since I didn't know about wrapping it. The way I usually make angel food cake is in two loaf pans. I get to eat one loaf. . . .and the other is for the guests! :P

Add some white flour to the small groove in the bottom of the tube pan before placing the center cone in. That will stop the batter from getting through. Then you just flack the excess off after cake is done :) easy peasy

F8bcab55 ddd5 4fea b957 f93cfd2a9ccd  dsc02631
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the tube part before snapping into the side. I do this with springform pans with great results.

It is quite simple. I have a particular recipe that has a very, very thin batter.
I turn the tin upside down over the lowest heat (1 on my electric radial plate); there is no need for it to get very hot and in fact you don't want to cook it too much in case the 'seal' dries out too much and lifts.
I mix equal quantities of water and corn flour, or make it a bit thicker by using less water - a dessert spoon of each is more than enough. My stove top slopes towards the centre to pool spilt liquids so this provides a natural tilt. I slowly pour a small stream of the corn flour along the join, moving the pan around. You can also spoon it in along the join, a little at a time. If the tin gets too hot remove it from the heat or use oven gloves.
The corn flour will cook and set and once the circle is complete the tin is perfectly sealed. Up-ending it, you can wipe off any that has run through the join to the inside of the tin with a cloth or finger. You needn't be too neat with this operation; it doesn't matter what the bottom looks like, and the seal will break easily when the parts are separated after cooking. Foil doesn't work with my batter - it still leaks through.