2-part tube pan always, always leaks. Is there any other solution besides A) putting a cooking sheet underneath it in the oven, or B) buying a new one? Do they all leak?

• Posted by: mtrelaun
  • December 21, 2010

Soozll
Soozll December 21, 2010

Most manufacturers advise to wrap the bottom of the pan tightly with foil when using with a thin cake batter. .

allie
allie December 21, 2010

I use tin foil always.

monkeymom
monkeymom December 21, 2010

I have had the same problem. Besides wrapping with foil and putting a cookie sheet underneath I've tried another pre-emptive maneuver. I've smeared a thin layer of batter between the insert and pan, then put the pan together and wrapped the bottom in foil. I put the thing in the oven for a couple of minutes, hoping it will seal. Then I take it out and pour the rest of the batter in.

Voted the Best Reply!

betteirene
betteirene December 21, 2010

The two-part pans were designed for angel food cakes and maybe fruitcakes if the batter is very thick, almost dough-y. It'd be easier and cheaper in the very long run to buy a Bundt pan or similar one-piece pan, and use the two-piece for angel food or fruitcake only.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 29, 2017

say what??? lol.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ December 22, 2010

Sometimes a Bundt pan doesn't really work for the application though, like a cheesecake. I don't see how you'd unmold it.

Springform pans leak most of the time, it's just how they are, unless they're lined with a crust (as in a quiche or a cheesecake). Foil and a cookie sheet is the only sure way I know of to avoid the mess, but I like Monkeymom's suggestion. I'll have to give that a try.

Smaug October 5, 2016

You could use a cheesecake pan, which is one piece.

Suzy Saphire Morgan
Suzy Saphire Morgan December 29, 2017

if ad my way i boot the fatery up the and say hey fit them with a sealing washer as i done a cooki mix in one over exmas and it was fine till it went in the hot oven then it was driping every place

betteirene
betteirene December 22, 2010

Sorry that I didn't fully develop the point I was making. The pickle was about a two-piece tube pan, which was specifically designed for angel food cakes so that they can be easily removed from the ungreased pans. But even when the pans are used for what they were designed for, a little angel food batter would sometimes ooze between the two pieces, separating them during baking so that even more batter would ooze out, usually just enough to set off the smoke detector when the goo hit the oven floor. The problem becomes worse with batters that don't hold their own shape, making a cookie sheet and/or foil a necessity. The only way around this is to purchase a Bundt or similar pan, which can also be used to mold gelatin salads, rice rings to be filled with curry or ice rings to float in a punch bowl.

Springform pans usually suffer from the opposite problem: instead of leakage coming out of the pan, there's seepage from water in the bain marie getting in and sogging things up.

We've sent people to the moon and invented the Internet, but we haven't solved the leakage problem of two-piece tube pans or the seepage problem of springform pans. Where's an engineer when you need one?

mtrelaun
mtrelaun December 22, 2010

Thanks so much for all of your answers! I think I will start wrapping the bottom with foil and see how that goes.

I totally agree with betteirine that if we can put a man on the moon, surely we can invent a leak-proof two-part pan.

lmae23
lmae23 August 22, 2012

do you wrap the outside of the pan with foil, or the inside?

Donna Williams
Donna Williams July 24, 2013

NO. Here's how to use a 2 piece pan. Cut a clean paper grocery bag big enough for pan to sit on. Press down on pan and trace outside edge of pan with a pencil. Cut out circle less than 1/4 inch outside the line. Center paper circle lead side down in pan. Sit tube section on top of paper making sure the paper edge is just visible all the way around. Press down to secure. Lightly spray pan and tube with baking spray (with flour). Pan will never leak again.

Mike Rider
Mike Rider December 30, 2014

Genius answer... this is perfect. I might add that dampening the paper gasket, prior to assembly, will also allow it to form to the grove tighter. Again, this is genius!

Pamela Hall May
Pamela Hall May October 5, 2016

My mom use to do this all the time when baking with her tube pan. She never had a leaky cake. I just wonder if you could do the same with parchment paper?

Anna Lyon
Anna Lyon December 9, 2018

My first apple cake I used your method and it worked perfectly!

Greenstuff July 24, 2013

This silicone-gasketed pan would be a substitute for a springform rather than an angel food tube pan, but I've wondered how they work. Anyone tried one? http://www.kingarthurflour...

Lisa Fahner
Lisa Fahner November 13, 2014

I just bought one of these at an estate sale and now I'm going to clean my oven tomorrow since I didn't know about wrapping it. The way I usually make angel food cake is in two loaf pans. I get to eat one loaf. . . .and the other is for the guests! :P

LaTonya McRae
LaTonya McRae December 31, 2014

Add some white flour to the small groove in the bottom of the tube pan before placing the center cone in. That will stop the batter from getting through. Then you just flack the excess off after cake is done :) easy peasy

Leith Devine
Leith Devine January 3, 2015

Put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the tube part before snapping into the side. I do this with springform pans with great results.

IanR
IanR February 28, 2017

It is quite simple. I have a particular recipe that has a very, very thin batter.
I turn the tin upside down over the lowest heat (1 on my electric radial plate); there is no need for it to get very hot and in fact you don't want to cook it too much in case the 'seal' dries out too much and lifts.
I mix equal quantities of water and corn flour, or make it a bit thicker by using less water - a dessert spoon of each is more than enough. My stove top slopes towards the centre to pool spilt liquids so this provides a natural tilt. I slowly pour a small stream of the corn flour along the join, moving the pan around. You can also spoon it in along the join, a little at a time. If the tin gets too hot remove it from the heat or use oven gloves.
The corn flour will cook and set and once the circle is complete the tin is perfectly sealed. Up-ending it, you can wipe off any that has run through the join to the inside of the tin with a cloth or finger. You needn't be too neat with this operation; it doesn't matter what the bottom looks like, and the seal will break easily when the parts are separated after cooking. Foil doesn't work with my batter - it still leaks through.

Donna Horner Wilson
Donna Horner Wilson November 13, 2018

Always use wax paper grease pan put in wax paper grease and pour in batter works every time