🔕 🔔

Can I bake Popovers in a muffin tin?

asked by Ms. T over 6 years ago

Yes you can! I leave the center cups empty because the first time I made them in a muffin pan, surrounded by the other popovers they were not as nice as the rest. Maybe a fluke, but I've not done it since.

Yes. They won't rise as tall but can be done in a muffin tin. Though would it be more like a dutch baby? I vaguely remember an Alton Brown episode on popovers and he made dutch babies with the same batter, I think.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Kim Boyce of Good to the Grain recommends using two 12-cup muffin tins to make 12 muffins, spreading them out, so you get a better rise. That would probably work for popovers, too.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The shape is right, heavy is best, and the suggestion to leave empties sounds right. The absolute best pan for popovers is made of cast iron, but they don't seem to be made any more. I've seen them on ebay. If you plan on making them again and have room for another specialty piece of cookware, it's really ideal. You preheat them, so the initial rise makes the outcome superior.

C1925f5b 917a 4e62 8c98 8ff7031b0b36  food54 profile pic

Thanks for the tips everybody! They came out great and were a big hit served with butternut squash and apple soup.