fennel vs anise

Is the bulbous veggie I see in local stores labeled anise actually fennel? That seems to be what a web search indicates. I wanted to try roast fennel and bean dip but what I thought was fennel was labeled anise in multiple stores, including a specialty fruit and vegetable market. I'm in the northeast if this is a regional thing.

asked by caninechef about 4 years ago

Yes - what you saw in the supermarket is fennel

What you've described is fennel. I'm not aware of ever seeing anise in the markets.

caninechef

Thanks to both of you. I was surprised but unsure after even the local vegetable emporium had it labeled anise.

cookbookchick

Fennel is called anise in some grocery stores. Perhaps a regional quirk?

Patti in Mississippi

At my store it is labeled Fennel on the Vegetable aisle but at the register they look it up under Anise. Since https://food52.com/recipes... is one of favorites, I have had to teach a few cashiers that lesson.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

http://www.splendidtable...

Sarah Smith

I've always called it fennel, but typically see it labeled as anise in the stores.