fennel vs anise

Is the bulbous veggie I see in local stores labeled anise actually fennel? That seems to be what a web search indicates. I wanted to try roast fennel and bean dip but what I thought was fennel was labeled anise in multiple stores, including a specialty fruit and vegetable market. I'm in the northeast if this is a regional thing.

asked by caninechef about 4 years ago

Yes - what you saw in the supermarket is fennel

What you've described is fennel. I'm not aware of ever seeing anise in the markets.

caninechef

Thanks to both of you. I was surprised but unsure after even the local vegetable emporium had it labeled anise.

cookbookchick

Fennel is called anise in some grocery stores. Perhaps a regional quirk?

Patti in Mississippi

At my store it is labeled Fennel on the Vegetable aisle but at the register they look it up under Anise. Since https://food52.com/recipes... is one of favorites, I have had to teach a few cashiers that lesson.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

http://www.splendidtable...

Sarah Smith

I've always called it fennel, but typically see it labeled as anise in the stores.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris