Substitute for small amount of heavy cream in a soup?

Hi Food52ers! I need 1 tbsp of heavy cream for a soup (or rather, the recipe calls for 1 tbsp). I'm sure it would add a bit of something to the soup but I was too cheap to buy a cup of cream to use merely a tbsp! Any ideas of what I can substitute that will give a similarly unctuous feel? (It's a leek/fennel/potato soup with a fennel stock - nothing fancy - from Deborah Madison's Vegetable Literacy) Thanks a gazillion!!

asked by tammany over 3 years ago

Chef Lisa

Whole milk should be fine for that trace amount.

tammany

Thanks!!

Matt Hall

You can substitute whole milk and butter at around a 3:1 ratio for cream. Since you only need 1 tablespoon of cream, I would go with 2 tsp of milk and 1 tsp of (melted) butter to keep things simple.

tammany

Great to know! Thank you

rengahan

What about using plain yogurt?

GiGi26

Since it's only a small amount evaporated milk would work fine also.

And/or a teaspoon of butter, if there's none in the recipe.