What are some savory uses for greek yogurt?

I love my greek yogurt parfaits for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too) and I've baked with it plenty, but so far I haven't found any good savory uses for it. I know tzatziki sauce exists, but I was hoping to do something a little more creative. I currently have three containers of this stuff in the fridge. I need ideas people!

asked by Lizabeth over 4 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Not sure how creative it is but I like to make cold soups with yogurt and vegetables (peas, beets, asparagus, cucumber, tomatoes, scallion, everything works). I sometimes use it for low fat creamy dressings... Also, one of my favorite dishes on the site is thirschfeld’s Lamb Meatballs with Broken Yogurt Saffron Sauce (https://food52.com/recipes...) -- I realize you are looking for vegetarian dishes, but the sauce is amazing and quite versatile – you could use it with potatoes or grilled cauliflower for example. Or change spice profile... Other than that Serious Eats had an interesting lineup of their favorite dishes here (http://www.seriouseats...).

jilhil

Start with pasta with yogurt and caramelized onions (recipe is on this site). Then check out Ottolenghi's cookbook - particularly Plenty - and River Cottage Veg for other options.

Labneh - creamy yogurt cheese - is easy to make. Delicious spread on toast, pita, bagels - anyplace you'd use cream cheese. There's a good recipe on this site: https://food52.com/recipes...

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I particularly love this yogurt and green pea-based pasta sauce from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem:
http://orangette.blogspot.com/2013/06/told-you-so.html

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I ran across this blog with 100 recipes using Greek yogurt:
http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2013/09/greek-yogurt-recipes.html

Hopefully you'll find some good ideas here..

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I also love yogurt mixed with a little tahini and salt as a sauce for roasted or grilled vegetables.

Brady Klopfer

I love it as a sour cream substitute on top of a quesadilla or burrito!

I use it to make a Mexican coleslaw instead of sour cream to serve in fish tacos or tostadas. My dog loves it in her dry dog food, so I always have it on hand. :)

Aliwaks

there's a terrific recipe on the site for lamb meatballs with broken yogurt sauce -- its outstanding! I use it as a sour cream substitute as well, mix it in to mashed potatoes, on top of chili, as a cooling side (mixed with lime juice, garlic & grated cucumber) with Indian Food, there's a Persian condiment that is basically yogurt mixed with grated shallots, salt pepper & maybe parsley that's great with Pilaf-- oh the MudJaharrah recipe on the site also calls for it lentils & caramelized onions topped w/ yoghurt-FAB!....esp yum when mixed with tomatillo salsa for creamy green enchiladas ( or for a quick fix enchilada casserole- rotisserie or left over roast chicken mixed with saute just barely wilted onions & zucchini layer with corn tortillas & mix of dry & regular jack-- mix 2:1 Salsa Verde Greek yogurt-- pour over , let it sink in top add more cheese bake 350 1 hr.

Summer of Eggplant

I mix it with a variety of herbs, lemon zest and chives or green onion and use it as a dip for artichokes instead of butter. It's also great on potatoes.

TobiT

There is a fantastic recipe in Vegetarian Planet for yogurt, mint and bulgur (or maybe it is barley) soup. As I recall it is a hot soup but I've also enjoyed it cold.

Panfusine

South Indian style Yogurt rice. Amanda has a great authentic recipe for it in the red NY Times cookbook.

former Community Editor

Check out this post and read through the comments for more ideas! https://food52.com/blog...

Amy Molony

1 Cup Plain Yoghurt & 1 1/2 Cups self raising flour = basic delish pizza base.

Sarah Smith

Here are 5 salad dressing recipes that use greek yogurt: http://www.thekitchn.com...