They are small balls of fresh mozzarella cheese and should taste very mild. I've never had to rinse them. Try rinsing one. Or taste the water or whey that they are in. Maybe that is what is tasting bitter. Or..return them and stop at another store. I don't remember ever buying them at Costco unfortunately.

It definitely should not taste bitter at all. Good thing about Costco is that they will take it back and give you a refund. If you have a cheese shop or market that makes fresh bocconcini, (pain in the ass I know) you'll find that its taste springy, mild and creamy. Since its a semi-soft cheese, it is susceptible to picking up other flavors and odors.

I've had mozzarella go off, and it does get a sort of bitter or acrid taste. Fresh mozzarella's flavor is the opposite of that - mild and milky.

Corj

Bummer!!!! AND I threw away my receipt- like a champ. Fool me once Costco. Am making Greek style skewers with feta instead (rolling with the punches....). Darnit though *shaking fist in anger*.....

Nancy Harmon Jenkins
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

Bravo! A good cook learns to roll with the punches--and I bet the skewered feta will be great.

Ooo...I love the sound of feta instead. You could marinate it in olive oil and fresh herbs for a while like my Papou (Greek Grandfather) used to when I was a kid.

Sometimes last minute work-arounds yield the best results - while always tasty, Caprese skewers make a regular appearance at cocktail parties. Feta gives them a less expected spin. Might become your new standard!

Dona

You don't need your receipt. They can trace your lurches thru your member card.

paseo

You could still return it - they just scan the bar code (and they know their products). I am with Nancy, they would want to know.

I have always found customer service at Costco to be very accommodating. Don't throw out the cheese, just bring it back in the original container. That way they are more able to trace the batch and deal with the problem.

Corj

Thanks a bunch all! I ended up buying a small container of bocconcini at regular supermarket as I didn't have time to deal with Costco today. You're right, mine were totally gonzo because the fresh ones tasted mild/neutral.

I can report that the feta did not work with the skewers because of the cheese's crumbly nature (or my skewers were perhaps too beefy)- it split apart.

Glad you had success after your trials and tribulations. :0)

I made watermelon, mint and feta skewers with balsamic glaze last month. I borrowed a friends skewers and they were very skinny. Almost like a cake tester, but not quite.

lynda

take it back

Karen

You can return anything, yes anything even if you have tried it and don't like it, you can return it. You do not need your receipt all you need is your membership card!

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks