Why do my shortbread melt unattractively around the edges?

I freeze the dough in logs, cut it just before baking. Do I need to raise the oven temp? Lower it? Thaw the cookie dough?

• Posted by: Sophie
  • September 24, 2014

HalfPint September 24, 2014

"Why do my shortbread melt unattractively around the edges?"
Almost sounds like the dough is undermixed. Also possible, you need to thaw the dough before you cut it. Frozen dough for slice & bake cookies can be crumbly straight from the freezer. The Kitchn advises to let the dough thaw for few minutes before slicing. The temp can remain the same, though the cookies might need a few more minutes to bake. http://www.thekitchn.com...

Voted the Best Reply!

EmilyC
EmilyC September 24, 2014

Hi Sophie -- I've had this same issue before and consulted several cookbooks to find out why. What I learned (I think it was from Dorie Greenspan) is to not over-beat the butter and sugar. Over-beating the batter will incorporate too much air, causing the cookies to spread when baked. The batter should be smooth and velvety, not fluffy -- usually takes just a minute or two to reach this point. Hope this helps!