Nutella in place of choc chips?

I don't have chic chips now, so I had a vague idea of placing Nutella in a piping bag, piping little dots, and freezing so when combined with a batter, would bake to give glops of warm Nutella throughout. Is there a better way to go about this, as probably, sometime before the baking process, the Nutella would melt.

HalfPint September 30, 2014

Can't see why this wouldn't work? Though to make the chips, you might have to add some butter to thin out the Nutella so that you can pipe it into chips. Here's a diy nutella chip 'recipe': http://ivoryhut.com/2010/12/nutella-chip-cookies-with-homemade-nutella-chips/

Meaghan F
Meaghan F September 30, 2014

Have you considered a switch to thumbprint cookies with a Nutella center...? Might be easier. Some mixed-in butter would probably help there, too.

Isobel
Isobel October 1, 2014

I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work except that they might melt before you get the batter in the oven. I know that they sell chocolate gianduja (basically fancy nutella) in some Italian specialty stores. It's like hard hazelnut chocolate paste. For the future, you could use that if you wanted chips that tasted like nutella but didn't want to go through the process of making them.