A question about a recipe: Barbara Lynch's Spicy Tomato Soup

324a6cab cc09 429a 82d8 014af50a7935  8335382876 871f57568d z

I have a question about the recipe "Barbara Lynch's Spicy Tomato Soup" from Genius Recipes. Troubleshooting

asked by sarabclever about 4 years ago

sarabclever

I've made this and loved it. However, the last time I made it, I did so in my new Vitamix and it didn't taste very good at all. There's nothing to strain out with a vitamix, but I wouldn't have thought not doing so would make it so bland tasting. I wonder if I just was having an off day, or if it's the straining (or lack thereof) as it's the only thin I can think that I did differently. Have been meaning to try again but trying to do some troubleshooting first!

I made this soup recently and it was delicious. I didn't strain it. I used my immersion blender. I also don't remember adding all that water. I used my own fire roasted tomatoes that I had pureed in the freezer. They had a ton of juice, so I think I skipped it. Maybe you should add just half of the water. Or none until after you blend it.

Also, did you cook it in the vitamix? If you did, you don't get the simmer and reduction that happens on the stovetop, correct?