A question about a recipe: Barbara Lynch's Spicy Tomato Soup

I have a question about the recipe "Barbara Lynch's Spicy Tomato Soup" from Genius Recipes. Troubleshooting

324a6cab cc09 429a 82d8 014af50a7935  8335382876 871f57568d z
Recipe question for: Barbara Lynch's Spicy Tomato Soup

sarabclever
sarabclever October 21, 2014

I've made this and loved it. However, the last time I made it, I did so in my new Vitamix and it didn't taste very good at all. There's nothing to strain out with a vitamix, but I wouldn't have thought not doing so would make it so bland tasting. I wonder if I just was having an off day, or if it's the straining (or lack thereof) as it's the only thin I can think that I did differently. Have been meaning to try again but trying to do some troubleshooting first!

Susan W October 22, 2014

I made this soup recently and it was delicious. I didn't strain it. I used my immersion blender. I also don't remember adding all that water. I used my own fire roasted tomatoes that I had pureed in the freezer. They had a ton of juice, so I think I skipped it. Maybe you should add just half of the water. Or none until after you blend it.

Susan W October 22, 2014

Also, did you cook it in the vitamix? If you did, you don't get the simmer and reduction that happens on the stovetop, correct?