A question about a recipe: Calabrian Walnut Cake (Torta di Noci)

9756333e aff3 4227 a054 f123d51ae51e  torta di noci img 4265 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Calabrian Walnut Cake (Torta di Noci)" from Emiko. Could I substitute pecans for walnuts in this recipe? If so, anything I should be aware of?

asked by Kate about 4 years ago

ChezHenry

Go for it! I find Walnuts and Pecans very interchangeable, but I wouldn't trade out either for Almonds, based on taste and texture.
Report back on how it went!

Julie

Yes you can, but be mindful that walnuts have ALA omega-3 fatty acids which will allow the Cake to remain more moist. You may have to modify the recipe to add vegatable oil.

Actually, omega-3 is one type of fat, but it doesn't mean walnuts are higher in fat than pecans. Pecans are higher in fat than walnuts, but probably not enough to alter the recipe.

I discovered that if you type "fat content nuts" into the Google search bar, the first thing that pops up is a box that allows you to enter the type of nut in question. Then the fat content appears.

Walnuts have about 65 grams of fat per 100 grams. Pecans have a slightly higher fat content, while almonds weigh in at 52 grams. Hazelnuts contain 61 grams of fat/100 grams.

I don't have a nut grinder or food processor handy, so I was thinking about using another nut. I can easily buy finely ground hazelnuts, so I think that will be my choice.

I think that will be a delicious substitute. I can smell it cooking now.

Susan, I was in Calabria in October and saw hazelnuts frequently used as ingredients in cakes and cookies--so that makes me think it is a choice that is compatible with what is locally available there.