A question about a recipe: Calabrian Walnut Cake (Torta di Noci)

I have a question about the recipe "Calabrian Walnut Cake (Torta di Noci)" from Emiko. Could I substitute pecans for walnuts in this recipe? If so, anything I should be aware of?

• Posted by: Kate
  • November 10, 2014

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 10, 2014

Go for it! I find Walnuts and Pecans very interchangeable, but I wouldn't trade out either for Almonds, based on taste and texture.
Report back on how it went!

Julie
Julie November 10, 2014

Yes you can, but be mindful that walnuts have ALA omega-3 fatty acids which will allow the Cake to remain more moist. You may have to modify the recipe to add vegatable oil.

Susan W November 11, 2014

Actually, omega-3 is one type of fat, but it doesn't mean walnuts are higher in fat than pecans. Pecans are higher in fat than walnuts, but probably not enough to alter the recipe.

Maedl November 11, 2014

I discovered that if you type "fat content nuts" into the Google search bar, the first thing that pops up is a box that allows you to enter the type of nut in question. Then the fat content appears.

Walnuts have about 65 grams of fat per 100 grams. Pecans have a slightly higher fat content, while almonds weigh in at 52 grams. Hazelnuts contain 61 grams of fat/100 grams.

I don't have a nut grinder or food processor handy, so I was thinking about using another nut. I can easily buy finely ground hazelnuts, so I think that will be my choice.

Susan W November 11, 2014

I think that will be a delicious substitute. I can smell it cooking now.

Maedl November 11, 2014

Susan, I was in Calabria in October and saw hazelnuts frequently used as ingredients in cakes and cookies--so that makes me think it is a choice that is compatible with what is locally available there.