Melting 2c sugar in 2 tbs of lemon juice for a baklava recipe, but its started to turn in to hard candy. Can i fix this?

do i have to start over? help!

asked by runred almost 4 years ago

Are you trying to turn the mixture into a syrup to pour over the baklava? If so, you need more water.

runred

yes. thanks. the recipe didn't call for any water, but i wasn't sure if it was too late to try adding water. it got dark and really tacky

It's unsalvageable at this point because that is waaaay too little liquid for 2 cups of sugar. I use a mixture of honey, water, and sugar. I'm sorry, but my recipe is at work. I can send you the proportions in the morning.

cookbookchick

Check out my recipe, Mrs. Z's Secret Ingredient Baklava, for the syrup: https://food52.com/recipes...

runred

thanks everyone! I ended up using a whole new syrup recipe.