Great cake for cakewalk?

I am looking for ideas for a great cakewalk cake. Something that will look and taste impressive enough without taking an entire day.

asked by savorthis over 3 years ago

Regine

What do you mean be "cakewalk?"

savorthis

It is for my daughter's school. My understanding from the flyer (and one I had witnessed in the past) is that there will be a table of cakes as prizes. You then buy a ticket and walk around in a circle (to music?) and if you land on a winning space you win a cake. Similar to musical chairs? So I suppose what I am after is a cake that will look great on the prize table but not require loads of time. Possible?

keg72

What about a great coffee or crumb cake? I'd prefer to bring one of those home (because I know I could freeze it and then serve it whenever) than a frosted cake.

Since a school function how about one of those tie-dyed cakes?

This could be a good choice -- it's medim quick to make, no spliting/filling of layers, a powdered sugar drizzle to top, bundt shape for fanciness: https://food52.com/recipes...

Healthline

Chocolate is always an impressive, crowd pleaser. And this Chocolate Malted Milk Angel Food Cake is definitely a winner: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/chocolate-malted-milk-angel-food-cake

I'd probably make a Black Forest Cake. They look really impressive with their "nests" with cherries on top, but it really is not a whole lot more than just a super delicious chocolate layer cake gussied up with whipped cream and cherries. Looks SO fancy!

I have brought this to multiple events and it is always a smash hit, and it's easy, and now I want some:

https://food52.com/recipes...

In addition to all the hood suggestions so far: an old fashioned pineapple upside down cake, or plum cake...any that you in very and show the beautiful, cooked, caramelized fruit. Or a cheesecake...traditional New York, with strawberry or your favorite topping. Last, a savory cheesecake, like rhubarb stilton, or fig pesto, again with fruit on top.

"Good suggestions" & "that you invert and shoe the beautiful"...sorry, AutoIncorrect struck again.

nutcakes

Well cakes are so easy they don't usually take all day. I guess you want it more good looking than usual for this purpose, though. And you need it stable so no fancy european buttercream. If you have a pretty bundt pan you can always get away with that and a glaze. Or this looks pretty stupendous and not that hard, you wouldn't need all the details to still look great.
https://www.youtube.com...

This one is easy and very impressive: https://food52.com/recipes...

This is my favorite chocolate cake https://food52.com/recipes... (I always do sprinkles.)

And this one I made for the contest "your best non-pie Thanksgiving dessert"-- I was trying to create something that would be pretty and as easy to serve as a pie.

Have fun!!

savorthis

Thanks for all the ideas! I do have a rather fancy bundt pan so I think I will go that route (the applesauce or maybe chocolate) with a salted caramel glaze and let the pan do the fancying for me. My daughter's birthday is coming up and I've so far had to make a pirate-hello-kitty cake and a t-rex-princess cake....so I think I will save my fancier decorating for that project (this year will be Dr. Seuss and our own invention of Beautiful Schlopp with a Cherry on Top).

arcane54

The Faulknerian Family Spice Cake would look lovely in your bundt pan. The icing is a miracle and ENunn's headnotes are hoot to read. https://food52.com/recipes...

cookbookchick

I also have made Merrill's applesauce cake with caramel glaze multiple times. One nice advantage for a school prize to take home is that it keeps very well for a few days. I usually add a little extra pepper for a bit more zing, but the recipe as written is excellent, too.