Shakshuka for 10...

I'd like to make shakshuka for a crowd. What would happen if I transferred the mixture to an 9 x 13 x 2 casserole dish and baked the eggs, covered, in the oven?

asked by EG1231 over 3 years ago

Another road: i''ve learned that one can lightly poach eggs in advance (enought to hold their shape, but not fully done), hold for a few hours, then finish in the dish just before serving. (One of the French chefs in tv, sorry can't remember which). You could cook your veg mix till nearly done, add partly poached eggs and finish, stove top or oven. either way, enjoy.

LE BEC FIN

nancy, I always thought you were brilliant, but now I know for sure!! TH you!

For the technique, I think it was Jacques Pepin. After briefly poaching the eggs, lift them out and put in ice water. Hold in the water in fridge for several hours (same day as you intend to serve). Remove from fridge & water, heat and serve.
For the compliment, thanks and glad the tip was useful...

keg72

I've done it in the oven in a ceramic baking dish, and it was great. To serve 10 people, I think you'd need to do two baking dishes worth, most likely.

drshakyhands

In Sheet Pan Suppers by Molly Gilbert, she does exactly what you are wanting to do on p. 198. She uses 12 eggs in her recipe which should be enough to feed 10. Basically, she makes the sauce (10-15 minutes) and then takes the sheet pan out of the oven, makes divots in the sauce and cracks eggs into the divots. Looks like it should take another 10-15 minutes to set the eggs. She doesn't cover the pan, nor does she line it with anything. I've had great success with the other recipes in the book, so it might be worth a look for you (I would post it here but I am not sure what the rules are regarding posting the works of others without explicit permission).

Melissa

@eg1231 how did this work out for you?

EG1231

Not great, to be honest, but I had late guests which messed up my egg timing! If you can poach, rather than bake, on a stovetop I think you'll be happier with the results.