🔕 🔔

Is Turkey savable

Slow roasting turkey for 20 hours. 300 at 1 hour to kill parasites. 8 hours at 175 degree. Oven accidentally turned off after 8 hours. Off for 6 hours. Can it be saved? Is it safe?

asked by elaine reed about 3 years ago

No, absolutely not. It needs to be discarded.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Sadly, I'd say it's achieved the bio-hazard stage, only useful as a weapon.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

(Full disclosure: Question Authority is in my DNA.)
Over 50+ years, I have taken many many 'risks' re: the 'safety' of a certain item, as declared by careful conservative cooks.

That said, IF the turkey was injected with a saline solution by the food co., or if you brined it before cooking it, I think it could handle the mistake/delay. But if not, i would trash it and say 'we all make mistakes' and move on to something else.