Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Le Bernardin's Crispy-Skinned Fish

1ee27464 8a85 4a74 bd90 cdc5b24878da  food52 07 12 11 172

I have a question about the recipe "Le Bernardin's Crispy-Skinned Fish" from Genius Recipes. I made this tonight and it was delicious. Unfortunately, the skin of 2 of the 3 fillets stick to the pan. Still tasted great, but it wasn't pretty. What did I do wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again?

asked by Mickey0627 over 1 year ago

Without reading the recipe, usually fish skin will stick at first and it will release when it is crisped. So you are moving it too soon. It might take some practice to get the flame higher so the skin is cooked faster. And make sure to place it into a hot pan.

I would add to nutcakes answer to make sure the skin in very dry before you put it in ( pat it well with a paper towel) and also make sure you use plenty of oil in the pan. that's a mistake i was making for years before discovering you really need a good glug of oil so the entire pan bottom is covered before putting the fish in at a medium ish heat. now that i found that out i'm getting crispy, golden skin every time.

Start with a hot pan. Add your oil only after the pan is hot. (You'll use less oil for the difference, because the heat makes the oil diffuse in the pan). Make sure your fish is very well dried - both the skin side and the flesh side. The skin will release itself from the pan when it's cooked. I'm guessing you were in a bit of a hurry and removed it before it wanted to go. :)