🔕 🔔

What do I need to make creamed spinach?

asked by XXX-XXX-7602 over 6 years ago

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

Lizthechef posted a great recipe here for a spinach gratin - http://www.food52.com/recipes...

338c2250 efb0 45de 857e 0fb58ee1ac7d  photo 418

I make a version that calls for onions, spinach, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and a wee bit of nutmeg.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

Start with a 50/50 mix of butter and flour roux browned in an iron skillet roughly 45 minutes on med-high heat. Stir almost constantly. If you start with a stick (4 oz) butter and 1/2 cup flour, this roughly will thicken and flavor three thawed ,microwaved and drained boxes of frozen spinach.Once you have stirred the roux into the drained spinach, thin in with milk or cream ( 1/4- 1/1/2 cup) and add salt,pepper and nutmeg to taste. I usually add 1 tsp of each. Keeps well simmering on low heat.