Can I make sweet basil taste more like Thai basil?

I'm making a recipe that calls for Thai basil, but the store only had sweet basil. It's this recipe: http://www.chefkevingillespie.com/recipes/pan-seared-shrimp-with-summer-vegetables/. Are there any spices that I can add to get a flavor closer to Thai basil.

Thanks.

asked by Jocelyn Grayson over 3 years ago

It's not a Thai recipe. They are different, but not so different that you can't interchange them. I wouldn't worry about it. Thai basil is a little more intense, so you could increase the sweet basil a little.

Jocelyn Grayson

Okay. Thanks.

Kenn

Thai basil has a stronger anise flavor than most sweet basil, but it also has a brightness more akin to mint or even citrus. If I can't get Thai basil, I usually add a little extra sweet basil and throw in a couple of mint leaves to brighten up/balance out the flavor.

That's a really good idea. My neighbor has mint all over her yard (thug that it is), so I will do that and save myself a drive across town.

Jocelyn Grayson

Oh, that's a good idea, too. We're already done with dinner, but I might add mint next time.

Thanks.