🔕 🔔

Can I make sweet basil taste more like Thai basil?

I'm making a recipe that calls for Thai basil, but the store only had sweet basil. It's this recipe: http://www.chefkevingillespie.... Are there any spices that I can add to get a flavor closer to Thai basil.

Thanks.

asked by Jocelyn Grayson over 2 years ago

It's not a Thai recipe. They are different, but not so different that you can't interchange them. I wouldn't worry about it. Thai basil is a little more intense, so you could increase the sweet basil a little.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

Okay. Thanks.

C2efdbf4 1adb 4dbc 84fb 100e21114662  image

Thai basil has a stronger anise flavor than most sweet basil, but it also has a brightness more akin to mint or even citrus. If I can't get Thai basil, I usually add a little extra sweet basil and throw in a couple of mint leaves to brighten up/balance out the flavor.

That's a really good idea. My neighbor has mint all over her yard (thug that it is), so I will do that and save myself a drive across town.

Oh, that's a good idea, too. We're already done with dinner, but I might add mint next time.

Thanks.