Thinking of trying a new vinegar for Giardiniera instead of just white distilled. Rice? White Wine? Thoughts?

I usually use white but have tried white and some apple cider as well. I thought Rice might cut the acid and add some sweetness to mellow out the kick but don't want to mess with it too much. Maybe just white wine vinegar, just a thought.

asked by csheago about 3 years ago

keg72

I think white wine, sherry or even red wine would be fine. I personally wouldn't use rice wine because I wouldn't want the sweetness. Also, to me it conjures up thoughts of Asian food -- which isn't the thought I'd want with giardiniera!

keg72

I realize that I omitted the word "vinegar" from my response, but I was referring to vinegars!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I agree with keg on the red wine or sherry. Sherry vinegar is a personal favorite of mine and I feel like the fruity tang would pair nicely with veg. I had a housemade giardiniera at a restaurant in Denver once and I swear it was made with either sherry or red wine vinegar.

My favorite is plain ol' distilled white vinegar. You may be able to manipulate the taste with spices for a twist.

What about tarragon vinegar?

I agree on the white wine vinegar (was my first thought) or even champagne vinegar. I don't favor the red wine vinegar, because I want the liquid to be clear to show off the vegetables. Nor the sherry vinegar because it, like the rice wine vinegar mentioned by keg72, it conjures other-than-Italian cooking traditions (makes me think of Spain & Portugal).

Its easy enough to make...if only a little time consuming. Grab a few mason jars, make a few different batches and do a taste test. Branch out...cooking is about experimentation.

Great idea not to use distilled white vinegar, which is so harsh. (I agree with Kevin West, who observed in "Saving the Season" that distilled white vinegar is really only appropriate to use as a cleaning agent, and not as an ingredient.) I use white wine vinegar quite a bit these days, including in kosher dills. I'd use it instead of cider vinegar for Giardiniera. If canning for shelf stability, make sure that the acidity of the vinegar is at least 5%. Rice vinegar usually is less than that. ;o)

cookbookchick

AJ, do you have a favorite white wine vinegar? I've been shopping around for a good one lately.