I have a bag of black rice. Any ideas on recipes, or is it strictly used for desserts?

asked by Cindyatbeach over 7 years ago

nessafox

I use it in stir fry because I like the way it looks against the vegetables.

I have one too that I just keep staring at ... perhaps we should dive in and experiment!

Verdigris

How about making a rissotto with red wine?

It can be served just like white rice as a side dish with and entree. It is tasty, rather like brown rice flavorwise.

healthierkitchen

I like to serve it alongside salmon with a miso glaze or with a wasabi sauce.

i just had it at a wonderful restaurant in Vermont with Swiss owners -- in a Curried Corn Soup -- just a tablespoon swirled in the center. Beautiful! it was the type called 'forbidden rice.'

Bevi

I like to make chicken curry to serve with the forbidden rice. It makes a great Halloween entree and has a nice nuttiness that works well with sauces. Jane Brody has a great and easy chicken curry recipe that calls for one banana, one apple, and chicken stock cooked with curry spices that is emulsified in a blender to make a wonderful sauce.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks