When can I soak apples in apple juice? Before or after cooking them, so they won't turn brown.

Also I am freezing them for later use. They are green apples and using them to make baby food.

asked by Robyn Rex Smith about 3 years ago

Garlic Fiend

Cooked apples will turn brown. Oxidation and all that. Very natural. I don't understand what turning brown has to do with baby food?

Robyn Rex Smith

I was just letting you know what I was doing with the food. that is all

Garlic Fiend

Ah! Ok. Lemon juice or citric acid can prevent some browning, but I don't know how effective that will be since you'll be cooking the apples. Brown applesauce will still be delicious and that is one very lucky baby who gets to enjoy homemade applesauce!

Robyn, not sure the soaking will do anything, but rather than add citric acid or anything else, I would just not worry about it. It won't be gross brown, it just won't be Gerber white/yellow. As Garlic Fiend said..lucky baby. :)