Soy sauce brands

I've realized my gf and I go through a bottle of soy sauce about every 2 weeks. Like we do with EVOO, I'd like to keep 2 bottles...one cheap one for when it goes in recipes and another, better one for when we dip sushi or add to soups etc. Does anyone have recommendations for a good, high end brand of soy sauce (preferable one sold here in Canad'uh) ? Bonus points if it's low sodium.

asked by CanadaDan about 3 years ago

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Search the hotline for "Asian condiments and staples". You'll get answers to that question and more!

I buy a wonderful artisnal soy that I just love. I would personally not seek out low sodium in a high quality. You use much less of it. This is meant to be drizzled like you would a precious Balsamic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9X4U1C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

This one is reportedly very good, but I haven't used it.

If those are too spendy, I love this as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Foods-Organic-Tamari-Sauce/dp/B0052OOUE6/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1446680295&sr=1-1&keywords=eden+tamari

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I don't know about high-end, but I usually buy San-J tamari instead of traditional, Chinese soy sauce. Its 100% soy, wheat-free, and usually less salty in flavor than traditional soy sauce. Its darker, and richer in flavor, in my opinion. In my experience, "high-end" doesn't often equal better, but since soy sauce tends to be pretty cheap, just buy a bunch and give em a go. Tamari is Japanese in origin, so it stands to reason that it would be a better fit for dipping sushi into.

CanadaDan

never thought about Tamari..might give that a try. thanks!

Windischgirl

I buy Yamasa "Less Salt Soy Sauce" by the gallon at my local pan-Asian grocery store. I like it because of it's great flavor, reduced sodium level, and...no preservatives! (I cannot figure out why soy sauce needs preservatives since it IS a preservative, but that's just me.)
You could go to a pan -Asian grocery and ask what their big seller is...or do some taste testing on your own.

I'm buying a middle-tier soy sauce at my local Japanese market (we have tons of them in NorCal). It's from Chiba Shoyu and for sure it is not high-end judging by the prices on the store shelf.

I use soy sauce judiciously and sparingly, so this works for me.

No more Kikkoman or Yamasa in my cupboard.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

check out the Spilled Milk podcast episode on soy sauce. They talk about what differentiates the various grades and types of soy sauce. Their recommendation for a general use (including dipping, etc) soy sauce is this: http://www.amazon.com/Yamasa-Marudai-Sauce-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B009I0YANG/
Yamasa makes a large range of soy sauces, not just crappy stuff that goes in takeout packets.
It's good and actually quite inexpensive.