Has Anyone Been Bold Enough to Try the NY Times' Soy Sauce Pickled Eggs?

It's such an easy recipe; i could have it made before I finish typing this query! But I am CHICKEN! The thought of the texture- well, it's what keeps me from trying it. I love Japanese food( even the slimy mountain yam) and the author promises a very rich transformative egg yolk experience like nothing else, but the thought makes me squirm. I love my eggs over medium but I am not on the bus that loves a runny egg on everything!
Have you tried the recipe? I have to say- Sam Sifton's stick-to-it-ness has REAlly impressed me with this one!!

http://cooking.nytimes...

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Yes, they are amazing! I'm ashamed to say that I have never made it the entire time though....after a few hours they are great in ramen. I've also done the entire poached egg, which is also very tasty.

Haven't yet, but they're bookmarked on the to-do list. I have, however, cured egg yolks with salt and sugar - which are lovely (used over pasta, etc.): http://www.epicurious.com... These ones weren't runny, in fact you grate them. But I think the mirin/soy NYT pickled version sound great.

1071292522

There are fourteen comments on the recipe at the NY Times website; read them carefully, just like you would do for a recipe posted here.

I haven't, but I just received my favorite naturally brewed Mirin and tamari from Amazon yesterday. I'm making a riff on ramen with leftover turkey today. These look like a perfect addition. Making them today!

LE BEC FIN

susan, you would be doing a great deed to share the link for those 2 products plse! thx!

My pleasure. The Mirin is the only one I've seen that contains koji and zero added sugar. It's the real deal.
This:http://www.amazon.com/gp...
This: http://www.amazon.com/dp...
And..if you're really feeling flush, this stuff is amazing: http://www.amazon.com/gp...

Oh my these are good. I made just two yolks this morning and had them over rice with homemade garlic, ginger chili oil. Delicious. One of the yolks broke. I just carried on. It worked out. The whole yolk was very cool looking. Loved the flavor and texture. I waited 6 hours. That seemed just right to me.

LE BEC FIN

oh, you brave girl you!!

LE BEC FIN

susan, fyi:
http://www.nytimes.com...

have you tried this Takara mirin?
https://www.takarasake...

I haven't tried that Mirin, but would like to. I've looked at H-Mart and Uwajimaya for Mirin and Shaoxing wine, but have only found the ones with added salt..lots of salt. We have many other Asian grocery stores that I should explore. I like the Eden Mirin because the only sugar is what's naturally developed during fermentation. Even that is hard to find. Both the Mirin and the Shaoxing wine that I get from Amazon add a lot of umami to Asian dishes.

I just had those at Mitsuyasu, a tiny restaurant in Kyoto. They were served by themselves, and we savored them in slow spoonfuls, as we sipped sake. I'm determined to make them myself and eat them over rice.

I never thought to simply eat them by themselves. I like the idea. I have four of them going now. If you make them, do report back with a comparison. I would think the quality of soy and Mirin used are everything.

I will definitely make them but not for a month or so. I'll report back then. Mitsuyasu considers their eggs as one of their signature dishes.

LE BEC FIN

chris, by THEMSELVES?!! oh moy gowad!! you and susan are FEARLESS!! so, how do you feel about natto?! Wait, I feel a song coming on. It's Joe Cocker, "You can have my natto if I can have your yamakake" ;-}

LE BEC FIN

Well, darned if I didn't find a recipe for soy sauce mirin eggs in an OLD cookbook,
Appetizers in a Japanese Mood by Yukiko Haydock; pg. 126, Stuffed Shiitakes.
Because you and susan enjoy those eggs so much, I thought you might want this recipe, so I thought I'd save you the trouble and put it here.

Coats the inside of 8 lg. raw shiitake caps w/ 1 T. sake. let sit 10 minutes.
In 2 T. hot oil, put caps, top up, in single layer and fry 1 minute.
Fill 4 caps w/ 1 [email protected] salmon roe. In other 4 caps, spread egg yolk mixture (3 yolks pickled 2-3 days in 12 T soy sauce+ 2 T mirin ; removed from liquid and stirred into paste)Return caps to hot pan, filled side up, and cook 2 minutes. Serve warm.
I actually think I 'might could' handle those yolks when done this way! I hope you'll try and enjoy it!

I make cold smoked lox eggs Benedict on New Year's morning. I top it with salmon roe. So pretty. I'm definitely making these mushrooms the night before. Yum!!

scruz

can those of you have eaten them describe what the texture and taste is like? i just can't quite....

I just ate one straight out of a small custard cup. I like by itself or on plain steamed rice. I also tried it on Jean Georges' fried rice. It was overtaken by the other flavors. It is very creamy. Almost like a custard sauce. The flavor is pure umami. I ate one that had been pickling for 9 hours today. I think 6 hours is better. I couldn't taste the yolk at all after 9 hours.