Is home made carrot & coriander soup, just what it says on the tin?

asked by @JennyAce79 over 7 years ago

nutcakes

I can't answer directly because I don't know the ingredients on your tin. But I do know of a good recipe for that soup (it's in US terms):
http://www.finecooking...

TheRunawaySpoon

Let's hope homemade soup contains a lot fewer ingredients than listed on a tin - all fresh and natural! Here's a recipe to try, http://therunawayspoon...

cheese1227

Got a great recipe in a kids cookery pamphlet I picked up in at a nursery center near Oxford one time. Here it is:
1 lb carrots (washed and cut into bite-sized chunks)
1 med onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground corriander
1 T sunflower oil
1.2 liters of veg stock
salt and pepper
1 bunch fresh corriandar

Heat oil in large pot, add onions and carrots and cook until the carrots a just soft.
Add the ground corriander to the pot and stir it in well.
Add the stock and bring it all to a boil and simmer it for 10-12 minutes.
Puree the soup.
Chop the fresh corriander and add it to the soup, check for seasoning and serve.

The only thing I change is that I toast whole corriandar seeds and some cumin seeds and then grind to a powder before adding them to the onions and carrots. I think it's a more pronounced spiced flavour.

Cheers!

Queen of Spoons

Isn't there a British saying, "Just what it says on the tin." Meaning it comes out tasting like it promises to on the label? Is this what you mean Jennyace79?

Shirley, you jest. "Homemade" has become something of a generic, non-copyrightable and not helpfully informative term. It should really be "homemade style" because you know it's being mixed in giant vats and sent running in tins down conveyor belts into a pressure cooker. My mom didn't do that at home.