🔕 🔔

Torn skin...

Upon unwrapping my turkey, I notices a small tear in the skin on her breast. I am not sure how problematic this is, but wanted to asks a community that might have experience. I gave her a nice salt massage, a la Russ Parsons, but want some advice on what to do when I finally put her in the oven.

Thanks for the guidance,
-scott.

asked by scott over 1 year ago

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just push the tear edges together when you roast it. (With endless articles on cooking a turkey, it starts to sound as complex and precise as performing brain surgery!) I promise a tiny imperfection won't ruin it!

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

No worries! At absolute worst you might have a small drier spot (not 'dry' but 'drier' because if you're doing to dry brine your whole turkey will be juicy and delicious) under the slight imperfection. This is why God invented gravy. Go forth and Thanksgiving without fear!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Sometimes I've used a toothpick to hold the torn edges together. Be sure to remove it before slicing. But in truth, it shouldn't be a problem; all of the juices will not pour out like Niagara Falls through that one tear. Nope.

I just thought of something else - many turkey recipes have you loosen the skin over the breast, and spread butter under it with your fingers before roasting. If the fluid in the turkey were seeking a path to pour out of in a meaningful amount, that would be a far bigger route than a small tear.