🔕 🔔

I'm looking for advice on how to flavor/roast skinless turkey breasts with the same herb/salt/lemon peel blend I'm using on the main bird.

Picked up my turkey at the butcher today for a Thanksgiving party tomorrow and it was well under the weight I wanted. Best I could do was add a couple breasts but they're skinless. They're quite large, around a kilo a piece. The complete turkey is already rubbed with herbs, salt, and lemon peel to sit overnight before roasting. Tips on how to get a similar flavor on the breasts? Just repeat the same mix-- or will the flavor come out much stronger without the skin? THANK YOU!

asked by MegB almost 4 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Hi Meg - my go-to for any white meat, including pork - is a brine. You could make a brine with 1/4c each salt and sugar, and add all of your seasonings as well. What I do is bring it all to a boil in a small amount of water then add a bunch of ice so that I can get the bird (or whatever) brining right away. Even if you do it now and it only brines a few hours, it will pick up a LOT of flavor and added moistness.

2f789704 ca67 4a63 868f b46a2088dfa2  img 2566

Thanks, Abbie-- I followed your advice (brined overnight) and the breasts are DELICIOUS. They have a ton of flavor. Thanks so much!

Skinless turkey is just adding bad on bad. All of the natural flavor (as little as there is) is in the skin. A brine might help but I would be tempted to agressively season and repurpose---like perhaps a turkey gumbo where you disguise the bland taste.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I'd worry that roasting along with the whole bird will dry them out. Maybe I'd salt them and allow to permeate, refrigerated, overnight. Then I'd cook with a moist heat method using freshly squeezed citrus juices, orange and lime perhaps, or bitter orange,or blood orange though it's a little early in the season, and something oniony, like scallions or onions--I'd look up some Latin American recipes for inspiration.

creamtea, you are thinking along the same lines as me. I would go Roy Choi vs Norman Rockwell. Something like braised turkey tacos with kimchi. I know I could sell those.