Chipotle substitution

I'm making Bon appetit's chipotle cranberry sauce (http://www.bonappetit.com...). I don't have dried chipotles where I am, but I have chipotles in adobo I guess I could rinse or dried pasilla-ancho chiles. Which is better for this recipe?

asked by Colleen,Nguyen over 2 years ago

Ali Slagle

I think the chipotles in adobo is your best bet. Pasilla-ancho chiles won't bring as much as a smoky flavor to the sauce, and since the recipe calls for rehydrating the dried chipotles, the sauciness of the chipotles in adobo won't be a problem (in fact, adding a bit of the sauce might be delicious).

Colleen,Nguyen

Thanks!

Agree - the smokiness is key here and - depending on labelling - there won't be much smoke it ancho pasilla.
If you have some smoked paprika around, you could add some of that to the mix.

Colleen,Nguyen

Thanks!