🔕 🔔

if I can't find pork butt to use for my pulled pork, is there another cut I can use that will be tasty?

asked by deborahlquinn almost 7 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Butt is best, though a picnic can work (more sinew) and even a fresh ham can work. Butts are always the best though.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I always use a pork shoulder -- as taught by one of my Southern friends...

A pork shoulder consist of 2 parts - Pork butt (the best part of the shoulder, the bit of muscle before the loin, containing the shoulder blade and nice fat marbling)) and the picnic (think of it as the "arm" of the pig). In the meat business, if I order pork shoulders, I will get the butt and shoulder together as one piece.

I couldn't have said it better than usuba dashi just did.

Personally I'm a big fan of the picnic portion.

I love the education! "Pork shoulder" is how it is wrapped and sold in my local grocery stores -- had no idea that pork butt was a part of the shoulder. Who knew?! (okay, maybe I'm the slow one in class...)