Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Ginormous Thai Dried Squid Sheets!

Richo is the brand. Squid cured with surimi,chili, sugar, S&P,flour. The flat squid sheets are about 18" long x 6" wide!
I bought them iirc, to 'tear pieces off and chew". But have you used/seen them used? Do some Thai cooks use them like nori sheets and roll things in them? or maybe they're too chewy to do that.....in which case, maybe they could be pre-soaked......Yep, you might have guessed that I am afraid to open them and experiment! My kitchen already looks like a hurricane came through (3 simultaneous projects going) and yet I have to seriously control myself from jumping into a fruitcake production, and then this squid...!! But, assuming i CAN control/postpone other projects, I would love to hear from you!

asked by LE BEC FIN about 1 year ago
Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Naomi Duguid wrote in with the following: "I have never worked with those large sheets of dried squid, though in Thailand I have snacked on single dried squid with pleasure. They come as flat translucent snacks, salty a little sweet, and are delicious.
With the large sheets I would start by cutting off a portion and soaking it in a little water, then shredding it or chopping it finely It would be a great addition to soups...or stir-fries.
And I think the shredded squid, slightly softened (after soaking), would be delicious deep-fried, in small clumps."

Tear in thin shreds and add to a Thai-style salad like a green papaya salad. Add some crispy fried shallots and you've got yummy goodness. My mom made this salad when we were growing up. And I always loved it. Still do.

We also added shredded squid to amp up our instant ramen soup.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

o.k., curiosity got the cat.......
Man this stuff is WICKED sweet. Imagine the flavor of dried squid (clean, sea taste) w/ some chili heat and a LOT of sweet. If it just didn't have all that sugar, I could more easily figure out what to do with it. I'm going to try brushing it w/ tamari and see if that soaks in and successfully trumps the sweet. If so, i could make some cool things w/ this. It is not tough like fruit leather; very easy to chew, so maybe Maki filled with Tobiko and pickled Japanese gobo and daikon....or Tomago without the sugar. Anyway, it can be cut into whatever shape and size you want; it's moist and flexible and rollable (think a thicker nori sheet except it's the color of a waffle cone) . Any of you looking to surprise some foodie friends could have a blast with it...!