Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I've been here only briefly because I'm surrounded by seed catalogues and they won't let me up. To expand on healthierkitchen's question about organic seeds, are any of you planning to try a new or different variety of something?

asked by betteirene almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I want to grow more greens this year, including toscano kale and bok choi. I'm giving up on trying to grow romesco, have failed the past 2 years. I am also going to through some rainbow quinoa into my flower beds.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I would like to track down some Red Russian kale and some gai lan (sometimes called Chinese broccoli). Also, a really good garlic. I saw a beautiful lettuce., black seeded simpson, at the botanical garden in St. Louis and I'm thinking about that as well

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

This winter I've had great success with arugula, tat soi, mustard greens, bunching collards and sweet potatoes. Last spring/summer's gems were eight ball squash, Clemson Spineless okra, and the very wonderful Cherokee Trail of Tear beans. These bean seeds were carried by hand from the Carolinas to Oklahoma by a family who eventually passed the seeds on to their physician grandson in the 60's or 70's; he donated the seeds to Seed Savers. The beans are the most delicious pole beans I've ever had, bright tasting and tender.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Hon tsai tai---the most delicious greens. You sow it in mid-late summer and it comes into its own in late fall, when other plants are giving up. Light snow doesn't hurt it. We picked the last of it in early December. Johnnys Selected Seeds in Maine sells it.