🔕 🔔

reuse star anise and cinnamon sticks?

I have been making a batch of chai tea every week so I'm going thru quite a few cinnamon sticks and star anise. As I was straining the batch I made today, I started wondering if there was a way to reuse the cinnamon sticks and star anise either for a second or third batch or for another use. Anyone have experience with this? I hate throwing items out that can be reused in some way.

asked by ktr about 2 years ago

3d6b515c 5134 4af9 8148 ce3943eda528  1px white

While I've never tried it myself, I had two immediate reactions: 1.) freeze leftover spices for future use, and 2.) stick in a jar of sugar. I do the latter with "used" vanilla bean pods.

Good luck.

I think freezing and reusing is a great idea. I get multiple uses of my vanilla beans when I make vanilla. I know it's not the same, but it seems like a viable idea.

ktr

I saved the star anise so I'll try reusing it in my next batch. I thought about putting them in a jar of sugar, but I use so little sugar that I would probably end up with more cinnamon and star anise than sugar!

Definitely reusable. I use them for total cooking time of about 3 hrs, regardless of how you break it down. for example, i could use them once and stew for 3 hrs; twice--30 min the first time & 2.5 hrs the 2nd time.