🔕 🔔

Apples Eat them? Or decorate?

6783a6b1 d8c8 470c a44d 500969943f4a  pomander

Nothing, IMO, is more versatile than apples. This time of year, I eat them fresh, add them to salads, bake them, roll them up in dough, but the most fun I have is making artwork out of them. Ever since I can remember our dad would use apples (or oranges) and sit at the kitchen table poking whole cloves into the fruit. He'd start these in September and by the time Halloween rolled around, they were dried and SO fragrant. We'd use them at Thanksgiving in a basket with other fruit, at Christmas hang them on the tree. Put them in with the Christmas ornaments and store them for next year. Oh, the fragrance when you'd open the ornament box! I dry them into shriveled heads and make characters out of them. And, the peel doesn't go to waste, I place them in a low simmering pot of water with cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and Star anise for a wonderful potpourri. What do you do with apples?

asked about 1 year ago

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I made this chef a number of years ago and he still looks ok.

D12f8b8f fc5f 4a2b ae17 8bb82dc3ad50  emeril3

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

BerryBaby - Thanks for sharing! You've given me some great ideas for all the apples coming into season here in New England. I typically eat apples sliced up as a snack. I absolutely love caramel apples. I saw some at the grocery the other day and was so tempted to buy one. On cold and cloudy Fall days I simmer a pot of apple cider on the stove flavored with cloves, cinnamon, and orange juice.

Who doesn't love anything apple? Here is one of many dishes I make from apples. This one is SO easy, quick and delicious. The recipe is posted on my profile Cranberry Apple Tartlets.

Fcf7f9c0 b527 4f40 8f6c e5d9906d6726  appletarts16