Help identify pumpkin variety/type please!?!

8c253a84 795b 42a4 b5cf db7ec7798c52  pumpkin

can anyone identify what type of pumpkin this is?. its really cheap where i live and am very curious!.
thank you

asked by Jam almost 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I'm guessing it's a kabocha squash. Good luck!

Jam
Jam

i was thinking this as well.....but its rather stringy than starchy when cooked, so im in doubt

Scott Hanson

That would be my guess, although most kabocha have uniform color (grey, greenish, or orange). How big is it? Have you eaten any? Jonny's Seeds sells a variety called "Bliss" that looks similar: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7534-bliss.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchantAdv&zmam=80483139&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=692.11&gclid=CjwKEAiA8ee0BRD1l7vV6JHe0zISJADxYItmqvNaf0Pb372RMlvVfmFtEeUt7A6F1jRB7Qj_xDDPDBoCj6vw_wcB#

It looks like a Buttercup squash to me. #11 on this chart.

http://www.epicurious.com...

Looks like a kabocha, many are not uniformly colored. Just do a Google image search if you want confirmation.

Jam
Jam

some additional images....if it helps

Is that your image? It's also on this website,
http://myseedgarden.blogspot.com/2009/03/calabaza.html
which identifies the plant as calabaza.

Jam
Jam

not my own image i found it via google search, it was almost identical to the one i have at hime

Jam
Jam

another one...

Scott Hanson

Shape and stringiness imply something other than kabocha. Have you asked at your market?

That is not your photograph. That image is on a webpage (dated 2012) that identifies it as Caribbean pumpkin:

http://cooklikeajamaican.com/ingredient-of-the-week-caribbean-pumpkin/

mainecook61

I agree with the Kabocha votes. It's not a buttercup; the ones piled in my spare bedroom, are more uniformly dark green, without those markings. Squash are so promiscuous that it could be a cross that someone in your area is growing. That could account for the inferior quality. The suggestion to look on the Johnnys Selected Seeds web site is also a good one.

nancy essig

It does look like a kabocha