Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Too fresh olive oil?

I'm in Jerusalem, and a friend gave me a huge jar of just-pressed olive oil. It's cloudy, with a peppery finish. I was told it will clear up and the flavor will mellow out with a bit of time, but I can't find any info about aging olive oil on line. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

asked by Melusine about 5 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

According to this Wikipedia article, it does sound like the initial cloudiness will settle eventually -- but that there are a lot of positive characteristics of this extra fresh olive oil that chefs are playing with too. If I were you, I might try experimenting with it as is in the meantime -- drizzled in small doses over soups or salads, maybe. Sounds delicious! http://en.wikipedia.org...

I agree with the sage advice not to worry about the cloudiness. Enjoy the abundance!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with Surly Dave (mostly) on this one. I've watched olives being pressed into oil in Umbria. The aroma is intoxicating. Italians are finicky about the freshness of their oils---especially those knuckleheads up in Liguria. Where I disagree is in "cutting" the oil. Olive oil has a low smoke point, so just deal with it.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.