🔕 🔔

How long does gelatinized broth keep?

I made broth for soup dumplings on saturday, but because of a change of plans we've moved cooking them until today. Is the broth I made still edible?

asked by Molly Simon about 2 years ago

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

Assuming you've kept the broth in the refrigerator, it should be okay. It won't be as fresh as the day you made it, but it'll be edible.

I've kept stock in my fridge for about a week or so many times before and I always notice a decline in the stock's freshness over time. If you're not going to use it in 2-3 days, it's best to freeze it.

My general policy is keep things in my freezer no longer than three months, but stock will last longer than that in the freezer. My freezer policy is mostly for inventory control and not accumulating too much stuff.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

If it's gelatinized, congratulations, it means you've made your stock properly. Under a week in the refrigerator is fine (40 f or less). Beyond that it should go in the freezer.

i read somewhere that if it is not used in 3 days, reboil it and then back to fridge, but then use in a day or so. i've used that theory or rule for decades and the broth/stock has remained good.