How to mash canned beans without a food processor?

In my kitchen... there is nothing resembling a food processor or blender, but I'm trying to make hummus/mashed white bean dishes - anyone have a solution? Please and thank you :)

asked by Gabriella Gricius over 2 years ago

Susan Lopez

You can use a food mill which is also good for mashing/ricing potatoes,, pureeing chillies, pureeing soups.

Ben McCulloch

If you have a mortar and pestle that would work. It is obviously more involved but not hard. Just a little time consuming. You might be able to use a ricer but it depends on how large the holes are in the ricer.

I use a good old fashioned fork. Smash them against the sides of the bowl. Been doing this for years with great results.

Stefania

Fork it! :D

In a pinch, you can do a good job with your bare hands.

I have heard many chefs refer to their hands as, "the best tools in the kitchen". I have to agree as well.

I would use one of those meat tenderizers with the square-ish heads.

if you're really lacking any equipment, use a drinking glass or small jar. mash away.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I think hands sounds like fun - the original kitchen tool!