Picnic Food for 100

I am attending a picnic for about 100+ people. I was asked to bring something for vegetarians. We are staying overnight at a hotel. (I will contact the hotel to see if I can use a fridge, if needed.) I would like something that does not require heating or refrigeration. I am thinking either stuffed breads, focaccia breads, (which I can do a few on the weekends and freeze until the day before) or if I can use the hotel refrigeration then perhaps Tabbouleh Salad. I am also bringing cookies. Does this sound weird - a vegetarian scone?

asked by Lucia from Madison over 2 years ago

Stephanie G

Unless your scone has bacon or ham or other meat in it, I would think all scones would be vegetarian. If you mean vegan scone, you might be able to locate a recipe with the vegan shortening stuff.

Stephanie G

Stephanie G

However, my scones usually have a small moment of glory, so to speak. I find they are not good keepers. If you're looking for a good keeping bread, I would try muffins or another quick bread.

lloreen

These blue cheese and fig savories are delicious and keep well: https://food52.com/recipes...
They're an easy picnic food.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Is this a giant potluck picnic, or will you be one of the few people providing food? Just trying to get an idea of the scale on which you'll have to prepare whatever item it is.
If you can use a refrigerator at the hotel (or maybe bring a cooler?), Spanish tortilla makes excellent picnic food. I also like viniagrette-dressed lentil salads as picnic foods. There's one in Ottolenghi's Plenty for a lentil and asparagus salad, dressed with a vinaigrette with herbs and watercress pureed into it. I use it as a loose template, swapping out different herbs, different greens for the watercress, and different vegetables for the asparagus.