Where do I find straight edged mini tart pans like bakeries use rather than the scalloped ones I see online and in stores?

See photo - many bakeries often have tart crusts like in this photo but I can't see to figure out what kind of tart pan they use

Lauren Ruben
Question image


Annie S. June 27, 2016
I have to agree with the Fantes suggestion. Does not get better than that!
HalfPint June 27, 2016
Fantes.com is my go-to online retailer for bakeware. They seem to have carry everything related to baking. I know for sure they have those flan rings.
Chocolate B. June 24, 2016
I have bought tart rings in all sizes, ranging from 3" to 10" from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_10?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=tart+rings&sprefix=tart+rings%2Caps%2C210

They are also available from JB Prince.
amysarah June 24, 2016
Maury Rubin of City Bakery in NYC is known for his beautifully crafted tarts, with straight edged crusts. His Book of Tarts explains his technique - he uses metal flan rings, easy to find in various sizes online or Sur La Table, etc: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-703611/Gobel+Flan+Ring At the time, like 20 yrs ago, I gave them a go - they require more finesse as they don't have bottoms - but I just use regular tart pans with removable bottoms these days. The flat sides look very elegant though!
amysarah June 24, 2016
Thru the miracle of Google, I just very quickly found instructions by Florence Fabricant, another good source, on how to make City Bakery's tart crust with straight flan rings - good photo illustrations too: https://mymateriallife.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/florence-fabricants-perfect-strawberry-tart/
702551 June 24, 2016
Flan rings on a sheet pan work great for this, however the original poster put up a photo of mini tarts with tapered sides. These did not come from a flan ring.

Flan rings have been around for far longer than Sur La Table. If you want to buy them, go to a nearby restaurant supply store or buy online. There are no bargains to be had at Sur La Table.
amysarah June 24, 2016
Not sure I see the taper, but I'd say it's pretty close. Regardless, flan rings are just an option - I think she'll find the information I posted helpful.

I bought my flan rings 20 years ago at a restaurant supply store on the Bowery, so yes, clearly they've been widely available for many years. Not knowing where she lives, Sur la Table was only mentioned as one vendor with shops in many locations. Online vendors are good options too.
702551 June 25, 2016
Every decent sized town has a restaurant supply store. Of course, that's where the local restaurants buy equipment. It's up to the individual to find out where those stores are. An Internet search for "restaurant supply store near [your town's name]" will find it for you.

I usually do not recommend Sur La Table because their prices are quite high, especially for commercial grade equipment.
deedee1200 June 24, 2016
Lauren, you might want to check out a product like this:

702551 June 24, 2016
Try searching for "mini cheesecake pan" at Amazon. Cheesecake pans often have a removable bottom.
Caroline L. June 24, 2016
Hi Lauren! You might try a restaurant supply store (or an online one—search "straight sided tart pan"). You might also have luck with a springform pan!
Recommended by Food52