🔕 🔔

I'm looking for a buttery-wine-garlic classic mussels dish. It's my first time making mussels at home and so, I'd love some suggestions. Either recipes from food52 or if you could steer me to another fave recipe.

Cheers!

asked by AmyKlegs over 6 years ago

http://www.epicurious.com...

try this - mussels are very forgiving - just remember don't eat if they don't open after cooking

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Some general advice in addition to takeanonion's: before you cook the mussels, sort through them, cleaning them up if necessary. Put aside any that are gaping, and toss any that are cracked. Then go back to the gapers, and toss any that haven't clammed up. Bon appetit.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Oh I love that! I scrub my mussles and then (not much measuring) sweat a lot of garlic in a lot of butter, add a good splash of white wine and I like to add a dash of tamari. Finish with chopped Italian parsley and serve with a baguette that you rip apart with your hands as you go - that's it!!!

Cook some linguini al dente and drain.
Add butter fine chopped shallots and garlic to large hot pan and cook for a minute or two and add white wine and clean clams a little salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook until clams open only a few minutes. Taste liquid and adjust as needed. Add pasta and toss, garnish and serve. Simple, light, elegant and good, but is it Italian? I don’t know maybe my pal pierino can way in and shed some light. Either way I love it!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Not to sway you from your buttery-wine-garlic idea, but the recipe that's shown above http://www.food52.com/recipes... is out of this world.

The pasta dish sounds great, but I'm thinking that AmyKlegs wants a purer lesson in how to cook mussels. How about Amanda's recipe from The Cook and the Gardener:
http://www.epicurious.com...

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

About cavatelli, mussels, small tomatoes, basil, garlic, white wine and extra-vigin olive oil.

2534cb09 f105 4a93 8ce4 1cb52ea27b7c  scan0083

When I do mussels, I keep it simple: After cleaning them and pulling their beards, I toss them in saucepan, pour in a glass of white wine, some minced garlic and some chopped parsley. Put the top on, turn the stove on and steam them open, giving the pan a good shake every now and again.

That's it. If the mussels are good one, the butter seems superfluous to me.

Per ChefDaddy's comment, his method is almost exactly what I would do. Possibly give it a Spanish twist by substituting toasted fideo noodles for the linguini and swap the hot pepper for some piment d'esplette or pimenton ahumado. If possible cook them in an earthenware vessel that you can cover with a lid until they are all singing. Actually I do like a garlicky butter as well.
And as others have noted make sure you have good quality mussels (I don't think much of NZ Greenlips) as they are a very sustainable and inexpensive seafood.

Sounds like there are a lot of people here who should be heading over to this week's contest--your best seafood pasta!