Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

cream cheese leftovers

I have 4 oz of leftover brick cream cheese - anyone have any sweet suggestions? I'm moving soon so I am purposely running low on supplies, but I do have the basics - flour, sugar, leavening agents, cocoa, etc. For extra credit, it would ideally be something hand mixed or that an immersion blender could handle - the hand mixer is busted (mostly, one side works so I can use the whisk attachment) and the stand mixer is packed.

asked by Catherine 5 months ago
50e6ebd3 b4c9 4d51 bd5e 1163afa4ba06  2013wreath

I have done this before, in fact our mom use to make this for us a treat. Whip the cream cheese with powdered sugar and cocoa. We'd have it on saltines or graham crackers, depending on what mom had on hand. To this day I love it!

I want this on a graham cracker right now!

Beat the cream cheese with some sour cream or plain greek yogurt and sugar, to top fresh berries.

Chop olives, stir into the cream cheese with a bit of softened butter (yes, it sounds like overkill but it gives the spread such a nice flavor!) and spread on toasted or grilled artisanal bread to make a dinner-worthy tartine.

This is also excellent on ordinary sandwich bread - the briny olives bring out the sweetness in the cream cheese. This was my favorite sandwich as a teenager. ;o)

Oops. That's not sweet - but it's well worth considering nonetheless, I respectfully submit. ;o)

My mom used to make black olive and cream cheese sandwiches too!! It must have been a thing. She would put it on homemade white bread or amazing date nut bread from a little bakery in La Jolla. I vaguely remember making a face when I ate the sandwich at school so my best friend wouldn't take a bite. Having it soon, but adding butter. :)

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I love cream cheese in omelets - especially with bacon - and it's a great way to use up the last little bits.

Niknud: Yes, yes, yes! ;o)

My mother made cream cheese cookies with the odd bits of cream cheese we'd have on occasion. This is from her files from many decades ago. I have no attribution in my records. Most likely it's from either an early version of The Joy of Cooking or from "Woman's Day" or "Family Circle" magazine. The dough can easily be made by hand - we were not allowed to use the hand mixer until we reached a certain height, and I remember making these just using a big spoon, many times. The key of course is for the butter and cream cheese to be soft.

3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sugar + a tablespoon for sprinkling on top
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups AP flour

Pinch of ground cinnamon

Cream butter with the cream cheese. Add sugar; beat hard until thoroughly blended and the dough seems light both in texture and in color.
Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in the flour.

Chill the dough for 2 - 3 hours or overnight, or up to 3 days.

When you plan to bake, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the 1 tablespoon of sugar with the cinnamon. Keep the dough refrigerated until you're ready actually to shape them.

Shape the dough into 1" balls. Use a juice glass to press them sort of flat (not all the way). Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of cinnamon sugar. (You can also leave them plain and then drizzle royal icing over them when fully cooled.)

Bake for 15 minutes or until barely brown around the edges. Cool on the sheet for 4-5 minutes before allowing fully to cool on a wire rack.

NB: Mother also used this dough in a cookie press to make Spritz cookies during the Christmas holidays. She often added lemon peel or orange peel. We never iced them when using the press. ;o)

Thanks for both the salty and sweet suggestions! I'm leaning towards sweet in order to get two birds with one stone - dessert for the kids and cleaning up the scraps. I think I'll try the cookies!

Catherine, that 1 T of vanilla should be 1 - 2 teaspoons. (I dictated from a PDF of my mother's recipe, which makes twice the amounts stated here, but failed to proof the adapted version in hard copy before posting. Lesson learned.)
Waiting patiently, still, for editing capability on posts . . . . Cheers, AJ

P.S. I don't know how hold your kids are, but many children LOVE cream cheese and olive sandwiches, finding the savory olives + light sweetness of cream cheese, especially on soft bread, irresistible. Also, cream cheese with small bits of smoked salmon, on saltines, is much loved by many children. (My mother never put it on the party menus she typed and kept for future reference, but she always put out cream cheese mixed with salmon for the young children, who gobbled it right up. ) ;o)

They are one, three, and five. The one year old loves olives, but I'm not so sure about the other two. Judging by their faces when they are eating them, I think they only want them because the younger one is having them ;^) It's been too hot to turn the oven on, but I'll be making the cookies this weekend when it cools down a bit. Thanks again!

Make no-bake cheesecakes or parfaits. Mix the cream cheese with a bit of sour cream or full fat yogurt, layer in a glass or serving dish with cookies of choice (chocolate, graham cracker, biscotti) and best ripe fruit in your markets. Gild the lily with some liqueur to echo the fruit or cookie flavors.