What is the best fillet knife for salmon?

Looking for a top-of-the-line fillet knife for salmon as a gift for a foodie. Brand name not important, just want the best.

702551
702551 August 25, 2016

For sure, the best fish knives will be Japanese.

Kenji over at Serious Eats calls out for Yanagi.

http://www.seriouseats...

He calls for an inexpensive knife with a very flexible stainless steel blade for filleting whole fish. It's not unusual to switch knives for specific tasks whether you be a fishmonger or a sushi chef.

Greenstuff August 25, 2016

Those Yanagis that he shows look great for slicing, but the Dexter-Russell that he takes out in the boat for filleting looks like a good knife and an incredible bargain. If that one seems too inexpensive for a gift, I'd just keep in mind that what you want in a fish filleting knife as opposed to a boning knife for poultry is that the blade is longer and more flexible. A great gift.

SMSF
SMSF August 25, 2016

It's important to consider how comfortable the user will be with any particular knife - does the handle feel "right" in his or her hand, is the balance comfortable, etc. Just my 2 cents!

702551
702551 August 25, 2016

This is basic advice, not just for knives, but any sort of manual tool or instrument. Buy from a store that has a reasonable return/exchange policy whether you are buying a tool for yourself or as a gift.

pierino August 25, 2016

This is a Wushtoff but essentially you need a long, thin, flexible blade for fish.