How do I steam a salmon fillet that has the skin on?

Never cooked salmon before and want to steam it. It has skin on one side. How do I cook it in a bamboo steamer?!

asked by Betsy about 2 years ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

You can cook it with or without the skin, up to you. 8 -10 minutes in a steamer will do it. start checking it at 8 minute mark for doneness. I like it a little on the undercooked side because it will usually cook through on the plate. I have seen it cooked either skin side up or down, I would do skin down. The flavor is very mild when you steam it so make sure you season it. I like to put some lemon juice , salt and pepper or you can use teriyaki if you want it Asian style . It is really good steamed. put some veggies in there with the fish or on a separate level. let me know if you have any other questions.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

also, you can search the recipes at FOOD52. Just type in steamed salmon and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Betsy

Thank you so much!!!

You are a life saver. I'm trying to impress a gentleman friend and that whole 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach' adage has never failed me before.

I'm really excited to try this!!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

what are you making with it?

Betsy

The salmon itself with dill, thyme, garlic, and lemon.

The sides are sautéed asparagus (rendered with garlic and bacon) and herbed fingerling potatoes.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

sounds delicious , good luck.