🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salad

7b4dce6e edb2 4fc2 ac5a 212dea8cf8c8  blackbeansalad

I have a question about the recipe "Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salad" from Alexandra Stafford. Is there a good substitute for white balsamic vinegar?

asked by Lisa over 1 year ago

Alexandra Stafford

You could use just about anything: white wine, red wine, apple cider, champagne. I love white balsamic because it's a little sweeter. I also love it because unlike traditional balsamic, it doesn't stain everything brown, but that's purely for aesthetics. If you find the dressing to be too sharp, you could always squirt in a teensy bit of honey or sprinkle in some sugar. Hope that helps!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Maybe it's me but I usually select a vinegar based on what is going in the salad. For some reason I think apple cider would be the backup I would use. I agree on the regular balsamic affecting the visual. I'm sure you have a dozen different vinegars like me, BTW (regarding your Saratoga article) my wife bought me a nice fig balsamic there.

Alexandra Stafford

I think you're right PHIL—apple cider is what I would use after white balsamic. Fig balsamic sounds so good! Do you live in the area, PHIL? Someone told me about an olive oil and balsamic tasting room that I should get to.

Just a riff: if I had leftover white wine around, I would use that instead of vinegar. And if the wine was dry and I wanted a sweet note, I'd add a touch of orange juice.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I am in New Jersey but we are always in Lake George and that area. My wife did go to the store you mentioned. I've seen these oil / vinegar stores popping up in a lot of tourist spots around the country. I think they buy from one main distributor. They tend to be pricey but it's makes a nice gift

Alexandra Stafford

So true—fun but pricey, and great spots for gifts because you likely wouldn't treat yourself to a bottle. Going to check it out next time I get up there!

Since there are south-of -the border ingredients (corn, peppers, beans, jalapeños) you could also turn to lime juice for the acidic component; lemon juice would also work. Different from vinegars, but still worth a try.

Alexandra Stafford

Great points! Lime would be especially good.

James Augustus

Consider trying fig vinegar as well (as opposed to fig balsamic vinegar)...had it for the first time years ago at a Phlox Festival in Vermont...our hostess served tea, fresh-baked scones, clotted cream, blackberry jam, a perfectly cooked omelette, and roughly chopped heirloom tomatoes drizzled with fig vinegar...you'll want to slurp it up like Jello...I've gone through four bottles since....

Alexandra Stafford

Oh my gosh, that all sounds amazing! Vermont is just a short drive away for me ...

James Augustus

It was at Perennial Pleasures Nursery in East Hardwick, Vermont...here's a link:
http://perennialpleasures...

Alexandra Stafford

Awesome! Thanks so much for sending. It looks beautiful!

I make a similar salad and use apple cider vinegar. Turns out great!

Freddurf

Lime juice and/or a splash or rice vinegar work great!