A question about a recipe: Gooey Butter Cake

E873be29 8216 42ed 9396 8c88eecf1dbb  2016 0910 gooey butter cake james ransom 093

I have a question about the recipe "Gooey Butter Cake" from Mark Bittman. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of yeast - is that correct?

asked by Chris Pappas almost 2 years ago

I would definitely wait to make. It has to be a mistake and thinking 2 teaspoons.

Shuna Lydon

St. Louis Sticky Gooey Cake often has a lot of yeast in it, because ~
1. it needs to be strong enough to hold up the sticky gooey
2. most bakers want to make the dough, and the cake, in one day, so a lot of yeast is used to speed up the process.

Also there are all sorts of yeast, so he could have meant 2 Tablespoons fresh yeast...

From recipes I've read most use 1-3/4 teaspoons of yeast. Haven't found any using tablespoons.

See the article under "Features" it is 2 Tablespoons of yeast. I'd be curious to hear how this turns out.

Ooops! I cleaned off my glasses and it is 2 teaspoons. Sorry....BB

Ali Slagle

Thank you for pointing this out. The correct amount is 2 teaspoons—the recipe will be updated.