🔕 🔔

I made rugelach dough and ran out of steam before baking cookies. LOL! How long will it last in refrigerator?

asked by heiwei about 1 year ago

Most cookie doughs will keep in the fridge for at least a couple days. Or you could freeze it for a month or so.

Is it a cream cheese dough? Refrigerated, you should have no problem keeping it for a week.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

A high fat, low moisture dough like that, easily a week- there's nothing very specific that is going to happen with it; not leavened chemically, and nothing that's anxious to deteriorate- you could likely get away with a month, though I'm not recommending it- besides, MAKE THE RUGELACH, every kind I've tried has been really good.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

like Smaug says.
you could probably divide the dough in half and make half now, half later. Rugelach, yum.

Fe30e51a 9e41 4007 93f5 f8b0a3545f25  fb avatar

High fat dough, unless the fat does not come from an animal, wants more than anything to be put in the freezer, not the refrigerator, when it's human has run out of steam. The dough wants to be delicious when your coal oven is stoked again. In the fridge, your dough will probably oxidize, and then not taste so wondrous when your cookies get made out of it. Trust me - there are few "pastry" doughs that want to spend more than an hour or two in the refrigerator.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

The only rugelach dough I've worked with is my grandmother's, but I find that at least a few hours, or overnight, in the fridge helps - proportion of cream cheese makes it extremely difficult to work with unless it's very cold. I usually divide it into 4 or 5 pieces, taking them out to roll/form one at a time. All I can tell you is hers was the gold standard (of course!) and that's how she did it for 50 years.

If you think your refrigerator might contain oxygen, you should probably wrap it.