🔕 🔔

What flavors combine well with Jerusalem Artichokes?

I just received a bunch of Jerusalem Artichokes in my CSA, but I've never tasted them! What do they taste like? What do you like to pair them with? Do you have a favorite recipe?

asked by Kayla Reopelle 11 months ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

They are also called sunchokes, Season and roast them as you would potatoes. There are a couple of recipes on Food52. I would make them as a side in place of a potato or starch. They are delicious , like a nuttier potato but fair warning, they contain inulin , which can make you gassy, so careful of how many you eat.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

It's been a long time, but I remember them as a very earthy taste, somewhat akin to celery root. I also seem to recall they they went from underdone to overdone very fast.

8b068ff0 4e16 44e7 a1b3 b65967ac2d2b  img 2363

I've made this before and it was awesome:
http://www.bonappetit.com...
I also loved this stir-fry: http://www.101cookbooks...

Enjoy them - they are quite tasty.

Thyme is a great herb to use with Jerusalem artichokes. And yes, they are gassy, so if you chew them up very well, that helps.

Always a good idea to chew well, but the gassy effect in Jerusalem Artichokes is caused by an indigestible carbohydrate (as with beans it is indigestible proteins), and there's not much to be done about it. If you're growing them, they're both sweeter and less gassy after a freeze.

I love sunchokes but I've stopped eating them due to the gas. Holy cow, it's that bad.