A question about a recipe: Cinnamon Chocolate Tart with a Pecan Crust

I have a question about the recipe "Cinnamon Chocolate Tart with a Pecan Crust" from Food52. Can I bake this tart and store in the fridge a day in advance?

• Posted by: knees
  • November 22, 2016

ChefJune November 22, 2016

You can, but your crust will not be as crisp. The humidity in the fridge makes it soggy.

Dorie Greenspan
Dorie Greenspan November 22, 2016

Normally, as Chef June, said, crusts don't fare so well in the fridge. But this is a nut crust and the filling has to be chilled for a couple of hours anyway, so I think you'll be making it a day ahead. In fact, looking at the ingredients for the filling (I haven't made this recipe), I'm thinking that you could even freeze the tart - something to think about the next time you need a bake-ahead. Happy Thanksgiving -

knees
knees November 22, 2016

The chocolate would survive being frozen? So if I were to bake today and freeze, what would be the best method of defrosting? Thank you!!

Dorie Greenspan
Dorie Greenspan November 22, 2016

Cool the tart in the pan. When it reaches room temperature, freeze it just long enough to set it, then wrap it really well. Defrost, sill wrapped, in the refrigerator. I've done this with other ganache tarts and been successful. I'm betting it will work for this tart.

amysarah November 22, 2016

I think this is true - I've never tried freezing a whole one, but I have frozen partial leftover chocolate tarts (not this specific recipe) and it's been fine when defrosted.

AntoniaJames November 22, 2016

Wow, that is so interesting, and good to know! ;o)