Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I roasted Torrisi's turkey breast just to 135 degrees & chilled it. How long/what oven temp is best for reheating it back to 135 degrees?

Also, will it require the ice water bath once I get it back up to 135 degrees, before putting it in the hot oven to finish the glaze?

Finally, what your thoughts on whether it should rest before slicing, and if so, for how long? I'm roasting a rather small turkey breast.
Here is the link to the recipe: https://food52.com/recipes...
Thank you so much.
;o)
I'm posting this a third time because my earlier posts were not answered, and have slipped down several pages into ignominy.

asked 15 days ago
Df2d539f 4b79 4684 9d1b 726bb830d217  bitt portrait web
Mark Bittman

Mark is the author of over a dozen books, including his most recent, How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking.

Probably no one answered because it's a confounding question: Why did you do that? Anyway, medium-low heat, 325 or 350, until it's barely cooked through. I would err on the side of lower heat, or the outer part will get really overdone.

Thanks for your reply. I actually waited to re-post until you were on duty.
I did that because I am hiking Mt. Tam tomorrow (as I always do on Thanksgiving Day), and wanted to do as much advance prep as possible. The recipe is broken into two stages - cook at very low heat for several hours (which frankly, I don't have tomorrow afternoon), and then finish/glaze at a higher temperature.
I thought I could do the first part ahead of time and then finish later, especially when I read the comments on the recipe itself, which suggested that the Torrisi people probably do just that when making dozens of these at a time at the restaurant, for finishing one at a time later: cook, stop the cooking with an ice water bath, put in the cold room the ones they don't need right away, and then finish on an as-needed basis.
Thanks again. ;o)

Also, does it need to rest after the glazing/finishing stage? Many thanks. ;o)

Wondering if Meathead might have some helpful insights here. (And I thought this make-ahead idea was such a sensible one . . . . ) Thank you. ;o)

3dab5e88 33eb 4bd4 9a98 cff872268cfd  meathead logo 150
meathead

Author of the New York Times Best Seller “Meathead, The Science of Barbecue and Grilling” and barbecue whisperer of AmazingRibs.com.

I am concerned about this recipe. USDA says 165. I have consulted with top food safety scientists and some say 160, and a few 155, but NOBODY says 135 for poultry. It is absolutely the highest risk meat. Here is a detailed discssion of feed temps and the science behind them http://amazingribs.com...

Kristen, thanks again.
Success! I cooked the rather small turkey breast, well wrapped, in a 300° (convection) oven for about 30 minutes, shocked it, and then proceeded according to the instructions. The smaller size resulted in the meat cooking more quickly, so the glaze was not finished quite as much as one might like. But the meat itself was sensational. I'm completely sold on the low and slow concept. ;o) P.S. in case anyone is interested, I actually did the initial cooking of the turkey breast several weeks ago, chilled it well after shocking, wrapped up tightly and froze it, until defrosting in the refrigerator earlier this week. I did my "smothered in gravy" (braised leg meat, took off the bone and froze in the braising liquid) at the same time. Perfect results, on both accounts.
And I took an 11-mile hike up and over Mount Tam yesterday, before starting my dinner activities at about 4 PM.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Yes, I think the shock is there to keep the outermost ring from overcooking, especially since there's no skin to protect in the high-heat glazing stage, so if you want to prevent against that—shock again!

Antonia, I don't think you need to chuck it, certainly not before trying to finish the mission (and good for you for having backup turkey legs). Just follow Mark Bittman's advice, and my advice on the recipe page, and get it back up to 135 before finishing off the glaze. The internal temp inside will continue to climb even as you shock it. As long as you've otherwise handled it safely (and I know you have), your turkey should be cooked through. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks so much, Kristen. So you think I need to shock it again? Is that to prevent it from overcooking during the glaze stage? Happy Thanksgiving! ;o)

Whoa, that linked article on your site is terrific! Should I just pitch this turkey breast and feast instead on the dark meat that I roasted conventionally? Thanks again. ;o)

Okay, so I totally understand that. The recipe has you cook to 135, then you ice water bathe it, then you coat it with a glaze and put it in a much hotter oven for 20 minutes or so. The recipe doesn't give the final temperature.
The problem for me at this point is that I have a chilled, partially-cooked turkey breast in my fridge that I need to finish cooking tomorrow when I get back from my hike. What's the best technique for doing that, given the final blast of heat that is anticipated in the finishing stage? Thank you so, so much! ;o)

Antonia- Thanks on reporting back on this method, glad it worked for you.

caninechef, you're welcome! Actually, when I said I'm sold on low and slow, I probably should have added that I'm not convinced, 100%, that the wrapping used in this method on a boneless breast is necessarily the best low and slow method. I am going to experiment with some other low/slow methods when the occasion arises, including ones in which you leave the breast on the bones, and dry brining, and a couple of other innovations that remain to be disclosed.
Also, for the record, we weren't quite as enthusiastic about the garlic glaze that many commenters on the recipe have been. Even realizing that ours did not have the benefit of the full final high temperature roast, I am not sure that the glaze here, which seemed a bit one-dimensional in an Applebee's kind of way, is worth the effort. I'm going to play with more interesting alternatives. Cheers. ;o)