A question about a recipe: Spiced Beet Salad with Citrus-Ginger Dressing

7cf72981 6fb0 4598 8991 2e157ad60e4f  2015 0929 spiced beet salad with citrus ginger dressing james ransom 009

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Beet Salad with Citrus-Ginger Dressing" from Ali Slagle. How does the efficient clever cook peel raw beets?

asked by Lazyretirementgirl over 1 year ago

Ali Slagle

I peel beets the way you'd expect: old-school peeler in one hand, beet in the other.

I do it the same way Ali does. I'm so hoping someone has a magical answer.

Some people do this wearing (rubber) gloves, but i would rather trust the grip of my hands without gloves.

I may try that. I have 6 beets to peel for dinner tomorrow and I have some thin disposable gloves that I keep forgetting about.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I bet you could parboil the beets, before peeling, cubing and roasting them as suggested in the recipe. It's a lot easier to peel cooked beets, but maybe also partially cooked beets.

MMH
MMH

Roast them in a foil packet with olive oil, salt, pepper & a couple dashes of red wine vinegar. The skin will peel off with your fingers & the vinegar prevents the beets from dying your hands red!

Valhalla

I don't! If raw, I scrub well, and if roasted (my preference), the peel either falls off or I just eat it.